- 1 bunch of medium sized asparagus, about 1 lb
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese (omit if cooking vegan)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Methods of Preparation
- Fill a medium saucepan halfway with lightly salted water. Bring to a boil.
- While the water is heating, prepare the asparagus. Rinse them thoroughly; break off any tough, white bottoms and discard. Cut the spears into 1 to 2 inch sections, slicing the asparagus at a slight diagonal.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water and lower the heat slightly to maintain a simmer. Parboil the asparagus for exactly 2 minutes.
- While the asparagus are still hot, toss them in a bowl with the olive oil, Parmesan, and lemon zest.
- Salt and pepper to taste.